Friday, April 6, 2012

Death In The Upholstery

Have you ever lost someone so close, so near and dear to you, that it blasts a gaping hole right through your very soul? I have. And so, to honor the memory of my departed friend, I have composed this eulogy.


R.I.P. The Quail Couch 197? - 2012
The Quail Couch, affectionately known to friends and family as "Quailey," was a lovely, comfortable sofa that presumably originated in the 1970's. He was a good and loyal item of furniture who followed his final owner, Kevin Blalock, through the years of collegiate education and beyond. Quailey was always there to offer a soft cushion to sit upon, and a delightful collage of wild game birds to gaze upon. He passed away in February of this year after habitually being mistaken as a scratching post by two wicked cats. That, and he was extremely old. This final picture, taken in front of a local dumpster, shows Kevin reclining across his beloved couch one final time. "I guess the angels just needed to sit on him more than I did," said Mr. Blalock, choking back tears. Quailey left behind a wooden splinter and three pieces of lint.




Final thoughts: The other day I saw a flock of birds soaring high above me at twilight. I think it was Quailey's way of letting me know that wherever he was, he was doing ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment